Tedlar Bag Sampling PumpNovember 20, 2017
Air sampling is a scientific procedure which aims to collect samples of the ambient air in indoor or outdoor locations. Tedlar bags are useful for air sampling when the concentration of the gas or compound to be analyzed is too less for conventional measuring instruments. Using Tedlar bags you can easily collect, store and transport the air samples for detailed analysis at a well-equipped laboratory. These are the types of air samples that are collected in Tedlar bags:
- VOC (Volatile Organic Compound)(CO)
- Carbon monoxideH2S (Hydrogen Sulfide)
- SH6 (Sulfur Hexafluoride)
- Other such gases
Tedlar bag is an effective and convenient method for collecting air samples. Air sampling procedure is required in numerous different types of industries for commercial use. It is also essential in many areas of educational research and development (R&D)
Collecting Air Samples using Tedlar Bag with Sampling Pump
Sampling Pump : The most commonly used method of collecting air samples into a Tedlar bag is by using a sampling pump. This is one of the most efficient method to collect pure air/gas samples. Mostly, these pumps have a lower flow rate (around 50-200 mL/min) and tubing.
- The air sampling pump works to:
- Intake the surrounding air by vacuum power
- Collect it in its original composition
- Transfer it to the sample bag or container via hosing system
The construction of the air sampling pump is such that it does not contaminate the air sample in any manner. The leak-free diaphragm system allows for efficient collection of ambient air samples. The innovative design of the pump provides completely genuine and unadulterated collection of air and gas sample.
A Tedlar bag is mainly made from a highly durable, ultra thin (50.8 microns only) and truly versatile material, called PVF (Polyvinyl Fluoride).The other major component, the Valve, is mostly made from a highly reliable Teflon or PTFE material. The valve can also be customized and ordered in SS (Stainless Steel) or PP (Polypropylene) material.
Guide to Using Air Sampling Pumps
This is a step-by-step procedure for performing air sampling in Tedlar bags using sampling pump:
- Check contents of the package received (tubing, fittings, etc) are in place
- Check if pump is clean and in operational condition
- Purge sample port
- Connect new tubing from sample port in Tedlar bag to the sampling pump
- Purge the tubing
- Fill out the essential details in the sample bag’s tag
- Attach new tubing from outlet of the pump to the valve/port in sample bag
- Open the valve in sample bag
- Collect air sample till its half-full
- Close the valve port in the sample bag
- Store sample bag in a hard-backed container for shipping (Do not refrigerate)
Following these simple steps will enable you to collect air samples in an air bag using a sampling pump most easily. This will help to quicken the process and get completely reliable and on-time results from the lab analysis.